FIRST SQUAD TRAMPLES SECONDS IN SCRIMMAGE

TEAM TO WATCH B. C. OPENING TILT AT FENWAY TODAY

In a bristling 40-minute scrimmage, the first stiff one of the week, Harvard's first football squad ran easily over the seconds yesterday, beating them by a score of 20 to 0 in the enclosed practice grounds on Soldiers Field. The workout was the last of the week, for the entire team will rest today and go to the Boston College-Catholic University game at Fenway Park as guests of the Eagles. This game, incidentally, is the initial football game of 1931 in this locality.

It took little time for the A team to score the opening touchdown in yesterday's scrimmage. After the kick-off was returned to the 40-yard line by Crickard, runs by White and Crickard took the ball to the three-yard line from where White carried it over. Wood missed the kick. Another drive down the field a few minutes later in which a twenty-yard run by Crickard was the greatest impetus, another touchdown was scored when the latter went over on a short run. This time Wood's kick was good.

With the session about half over the B team was sent in. Its only score was made by Wells who took the ball over on a 15-yard dash after consistent ground gaining had brought the ball deep into second team territory. Wells also made good the extra point.

There were no absentees from the scrimmage outside of Mays. His place in the A backfield was taken over by Crickard. The former is not injured but merely was excused from any hard work. There have been no serious injuries so far this year and the entire squad seems to be in excellent shape. It is hardly possible that the A team as it is constituted now will be the one to face Bates next Saturday, but the A backfield of Wood, Mays, Dean, and White may probably be kept intact.

Most of the coaches will not take a holiday today but will be sent on scouting expeditions to some of the Crimson's chief rivals. Coaches Knox and Casey will go to West Point to see the Army in its opening game while Coaches Nelson, Bradford, and Brady and Assistant Director of Athletics Clark will go to Dartmouth and watch the Indians play Norwich.

The lineups:

Team A: Moushegian, l.e.; Hardy, l.t.; Myerson, l.g.; Hallowell, c.; Esterly, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Hageman, r.e.; Wood, q.b.; Crickard, l.h.b.; Dean, r.h.b.; White, f.b.

Team B: Record, l.e.; Bancroft, l.t.; Talbot, l.g.; Cunningham, c.; Rogers, r.g.; Kales, r.t.; Francisco, r.e.; Wells, q.b.; Bennett, l.h.b.; Gleason, r.h.b.; Schereschewsky, f.b.