A COMMUNIST MANIFESTO

In answer to reports that the police and the United States Immigration Bureau would conduct a wholesale roundup of "reds" incidental to solving the Worcester bombing case, the Communist candidate for governor of Massachusetts, John J. Ballam, issued yesterday a statement denouncing the action as an unfair attempt to discredit the Communist party and other working class organizations. In view of the patent hostility, Mr. Ballam was probably justified in insisting that the Communist party is, by principle, opposed to terrorist activities, and that therefore it cannot be held responsible; but mere reiteration of this dogma will hardly serve to assure intelligent observers that the organization can hold its followers in line.

More convincing, indeed, is the striking contrast that this, one the whole well stitched and cogent pronouncement presents to the feverish in discrimination which has distinguished the press and governmental agencies in their dealings with the case. The unreasoning outburst, all too characteristic of American political opinions, has seen fit to employ the terms "red" and "radical" to denote all political extremists. Possibly the confusion is justified, but to the average onlooker it appears founded on hysteria, not upon any understanding of party demarcations. It is a sad commentary or a great portion of the American press that, instead of educating its public to form substantiated opinions, it panders almost entirely to irrational morbidity and unfair prejudice.