ALLEGRO MODERATO

The Harvard Liberal Club's recent affiliation with the National Student League, and its promise of study groups to supplement its propagandist work, forecast a definite departure from the policies of similar organizations in the past. In contrast with fragmentary consideration of unrelated problems and desultory attempts to influence Harvard students and the federal government, the Club has finally committed itself to a coherent program of liberalist activity.

How much success the Club's new policy will achieve remains to be seen. The short lived Socialist Club, which went out of existence a year ago, had similar aims; but its efforts were nullified by an unfortunate habit of doing too much and reflecting too little. The old Liberal Club, on the other hand, failed to carry weight because of excessive dignity its polite petitions and its carefully dispassionate utterances lacked the force necessary for effectiveness.

By seizing upon the Inquiry's plan for deeper study, and by promising the added advantage of a thoughtful, well-edited journal the Liberal Club has recognized the pitfalls that engulfed its predecessors. It now offers men of active liberal tendencies an opportunity for a more thorough examination of problems, and hence for a more reasonable propaganda than was possible under the old regime. If such a program is adhered to, the Liberal Club should begin to have a value for undergraduates which the past aura of misdirected adolescent enthusiasm has denied.