CLASH WITH BISON TO TEST RESERVE STRENGTH OF TEAM

New Yorkers' Chief Threats Are Ward And Cleland, Co-Captains--Flayers Can Fill Several Positions

Anticipating the usual early season walkover, the stadium crowd which gathers at 2.30 o'clock this afternoon to watch the Harvard-Buffalo clash will be chiefly interested in finding out what sort of a show the Crimson reserves can put on, and not in seeing the crack A team score at will on a weaker opponent.

After the 72-0 massacre which the Bisons suffered at the hands of Cornell last Saturday, the University coaches are regretting that they were unable to obtain an opening game opponent more capable of testing their second and third teams, which constitute the chief problem of Coach Casey and his assistants at the present moment.

Unless the New Yorkers can put on a much better showing than they did last week, Harvard's A team will not see more than a period of playing, for no chances will be taken of injuring any of the key players in these opening games. The season's success really depends on how much improvement the second and third lineups will be able to make in the opening two games.

The Bisons possess two captain is the form of Ward at left half back and Cleland at center. These two men, together with Ford at quarterback, are veterans of two seasons and the strongest threat which Harvard has to face in this afternoon's lineup.

Buffalo squad men posses the peculiarity of being able to play in at least two different positions apiece, a shift to which the coaches have been forced through dearth of material.