Kohler Will Give Lecture On Ancient German Paintings

Delivering the first of a series of nine lectures, Professor Wilhelm Kohler will alk on "German Painting in the Fifteenth Century," on Wednesday, October 19, at 4 o'clock in the Renaissance Hall of the Germanic Museum. Dr. Kohler, who is director of the Museum of Weimar and professor at the University of Jena, comes to Harvard this year as the Kuno Francke Professor of German Art and Culture. The lectures are to be given in German, with brief outlines in English for each lecture, and will take place every Wednesday afternoon at 4 o'clock.

Professor Kohler is an authority on art, particularly in the field of illustrated manuscripts; specializing in the period of the early part of the Middle Ages. His best known work is a great undertaking of the illuminated manuscripts of the School of Tours in the ninth century. This is the first volume of an extensive series on Carolingian manuscripts.

In 1929, a group of ten donors contributed $150,000 to establish a chair in honor of the late Kuno Francke, former Emeritus Professor of Germanic Culture and Founder and Honorary Curater of the Germanic Museum, for the care of German Art. The chair was established in the belief that "the artistic development of a given nation in architecture, sculpture, and painting should be studied as an integral part of national life, closely allied to social conditions, intellectual tendencies, and literary movements." The chair was held last year by Friederich von der Leyeu, professor of the University of Cologue Professor Francke was chosen for this honor in appreciation of the great work he had done along these lines