ELY CALLS COLLEGE MEN INTO POLITICS

College Men Capable of Selecting the Regime They Will Support -- Are Duty Bound To Vote

"The growing participation of the college man in politics will make politics cleaner," said Joseph B. Ely, Governor of Massachusetts in an interview last night. "Politics and the administration of city, state, and national government need the foresight and culture that the college man will carry to them. The college man has had the best advantages of education, and with that background his ability to understand public questions should be greatly increased. It is this understanding, culture, and sense of fair play that the college bestows upon a man that, when taken into political life, will render politics a cleaner institution in our civilization.

"Public opinion is instigated by the man who knows what he is talking about, and even though he is not in the lime-light at all times he is the one that exerts the greatest force upon our society. The man in college should at all times attempt to gain a full understanding of both sides of any question, then give his unblased opinion to his constituents. He must remember that, as a college man, he is expected to know what he is talking about."

When the Governor was asked to make a statement on the coming presidential election, he said, "For some time I have urged college man to enter politics, to attain unbiased understanding, to stand on their own feet and to think for themselves; the coming election is not an exception to this aim. Since the American people have been given the cherished gift of free suffrage, it is every man's duty to cast his ballot on election day. Each Harvard man should see to it that he has registered, and when election day arrives, let him make up his own mind which regime he is going to support. The college man understands the situation; it is up to him to aid in putting the best fitted man in the White House."

As the guest of the 1936 Union Committee, Hon. Joseph B. Ely, Governor of Massachusetts, will have dinner with the Freshman class on the evening of October 19th. Later in the evening, at a meeting sponsored by the Union Committee together with the Harvard Democratic Club, the Governor will address the Freshmen. A Freshman Democratic Club may be formed at the meeting.