RECEIPTS OF COUNCIL REVEAL DROP OF $1000

PAYMENT OF UNPAID PLEDGES TO BE SOUGHT

Approximately $1000 less was donated to the Student Council charity budget at registration this year than in 1931, according to figures released yesterday by Hamilton Young '33, treasurer of the Council. The total amount paid by undergraduates at registration was $3863.50, while last year $4888.03 was received.

Much more has been pledged to the fund, and cards will be mailed about November 1 to those who have promised to contribute. The money is used for two major purposes--paying expenses of the four classes, which takes a comparatively small amount, and distribution to welfare agencies for charity work, to which the major portion of the money is devoted.

Distribution of Funds

The budget for this year has not yet been made up. Last year, when $8000 was contributed in pledges and at registration, $4000 was turned over to Phillips Brooks House for distribution to charities directly connected with it, and $2000 more to six major organized welfare groups. The Committee on Friendly Relations with Foreign Students and the American Red Cross both received $500, while $250 was presented to each of the following: International Student Society, Salvation Army, Industrial Aid Society of Boston, and the Cambridge Chapter of the Boy Scouts of America. The remaining $2000 was expended on class elections, the Senior Album, and minor charities.

No direct contribution was made by the Student Council to unemployment relief from this fund last year, inasmuch as $26,000 was collected for this purpose at the Dartmouth, Holy Cross, and Yale football games. Whether a similar program will be pursued this year has not yet been decided.