Mayor Russell Sees Revision of Cambridge Ordinances By Law School As Good-Will Act--Landis Heads Research Group

"The revision of Cambridge city ordinances by the Harvard Law School forms another bond in the existing good will between the city and the University," declared R. M. Russell '14, Mayor of Cambridge, in a statement issued last night. "This service rendered by the law school will save the taxpayers of Cambridge about $20,000 this year. The revision of the city statutes is a reform which has been needed for twenty years. Many of the ordinances are not only contradictory among themselves, but are at variance with state statutes. New ordinances have been added each year until the situation has become so complex that city administrative heads can scarcely define their powers. The University has been of much service to Cambridge. The people and administration of the city appreciate the fine spirit of helpfulness that the University has shown in the problems confronting Cambridge.

"The object of the present revision is to present in an orderly and exact form the ordinances now in force in Cambridge. To do this, Professor Landis and his assistants will be obliged to examine all the ordinances now in effect that have been passed by the council since 1912 and balance them with all the opinions of the city solicitor," continued the Mayor.

"The group of lawyers have already completed the first examination of other city codes similar to those needed by Cambridge. The aim of the group is to combine the fine points of several city codes into a uniform code that will adequately take care of the needs of the city in the future."

The project of revision began as a result of an informal luncheon in the Harvard Club last spring, when J. M. Landis '25, professor of Law, Mayor Russell and Folix Frankfurter, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, were discussing their respective problems.