OBJECTIVE CRITICISM

The announcement that fifty-one committees; including over five hundred members, are to visit the various departments of Harvard, may give the impression of a sudden burst of publicity, of throwing open the arcana, as it were to the nation at large. The names of the visitors from an imposing list; it is almost a roster of the better known graduates and contains as well a number of people who are only holders of honorary degrees, or who are not in any way connected with Harvard University.

As a matter of fact, however, this is no sudden development, but the result of a steadily growing policy of inviting criticism from men who can take an objective view of the administration of the many departments of the University. It is bromidic to explain that Harvard needs such comment, which transcends class and sectional boundaries. The more intelligent criticism and suggestion the University can receive from interested, enlightened observers, the more it can grow in service.

The critical commentator must remark, however, that the committees appointed seem largely composed of men whose own affairs will prevent them from looking very closely into the conduct of Harvard activities. If this be so, the importance of their appointment should be heavily discounted. The value of the visiting committees lies, not in the names which they boast, but in the work which they can do.