THE INQUIRY

The Harvard Inquiry, which was organized last spring, is now a reality attempting to carry out the purpose for which it was destined at that time. Credit is due to the men who have fought the inertia and suspicion with which Harvard undergraduates generally protect themselves from new and radical intellectual organization. Although the Inquiry has not bad time enough to give an account of itself in practice it gives promise that it will stimulate the undergraduate to at least a recognition of the most important problems that face him as a citizen.

The emphasis which the leaders of the Inquiry have put on "long-run changes," the need for which has been revealed by the depression, is important because they are the only ones applicable in particular to men who are at college now. Modern politics are infinitely complex and the ordinary intelligent citizen has few ways to educate himself to an understanding of the issues which are at the basis, or should be, of current political life. If the inquiry could succeed only in pointing out the direction of approach to these issues giving the student a knowledge of source material and a technique in searching it our, it will have justified its organization.

Bruce Bliven, editor of the New Republic, opens the scheduled program for this year's Inquiry tonight at seven thirty in Winthrop House. Mr. Bliven and the other speakers who will follow him throughout the year will have important Ideas to present and the discussion group will clarity them for the individual member and stimulate others. Whether the inquiry is successful or not depends on the quality of the support it is given. It offers men a chance of political education which some might never get in any other way and deserves all the support it can get.