FLYING CLUB SEASON OPENS WITH DRIVE FOR GREATER MEMBERSHIP

HOLDERS OF FLYING LICENSES MAY JOIN AT ONCE

The Harvard Flying Club will hold its first meeting of the year tomorrow evening at 7.30 o'clock in Dunster House F-42; men interested in joining the club are invited to attend.

Last year the club won, for the third consecutive time, the Loening Trophy, given annually to the most successful college flying club in America. A silver cup and a cash award of $250 constituted the prize. It was presented to members of the club in August at a dinner of the National Aeronautical Association in Washington, D. C. Competitors over whom the Harvard Flying Club was adjudged superior included groups from Yale, Michigan University, William and Mary College, and New York University.

The club at present owns one plane, a Waco, powered with a Warner engine. It is kept at the East Boston Airport, and is used by members for instruction and cross country trips.

The club is continuing its policy of making flying instruction and solo flying practice available to those who join the club at rates considerably lower than those offered by local flying schools. New members with no flying experience, or those who have not yet obtained the Department of Commerce License, are taken in as associate members. After taking instruction and procuring their licenses they are admitted to full membership. Those who already possess licenses are admitted to regular membership at once, and may take the club plane on cross country trips after they satisfy the group of their fitness to do so.

In addition to flying experience, the club plans to offer an opportunity for men to learn more about the practical side of airplane maintenance and repair, including shopwork.