FIVE PER CENT OF ROOMS IN HOUSES ARE LEFT VACANT

Number of House Residents Increases By 63--Partially Occupied Suites Not Counted

"A survey of rooms at the present time shows vacancies of less than five per cent. In the seven Houses the vacancies represent 43 total suites, providing accommodations for 72 students, in addition to some individual vacancies in double and multiple suites which in general can be filled only with the approval of the present occupants," according to an official statement released yesterday.

Total Enrollment Increases

The total enrollment in the seven Houses is now 1703, as compared with 1640 at a corresponding period a year ago, representing an increase of 63. The plan of allowing men to double up in certain suites, which went into effect this year, is considered responsible for the increase. Another significant change is the increase in the proportion of graduate students, in the Houses, who now number 130 as compared with 100 last year, showing a jump equal to half the increase in enrollment.

Doubling Up in Suites

"The vacancies result partly from normal cancellations and partly from the fact that the number of students per suite has been increased in certain cases, in order to make possible a lower average rental, and provide more rooms for students of limited means," the statement reads. "The present figures must be regarded as tentative, since various changes and adjustments are still being made, and the figures for the year are being carefully reviewed by the seven House Masters.

No figures are available for the second class of vacancies mentioned, those in suites only partially occupied.