HARVARD HABITS SHOWN BY ADVERTISING SURVEY

Students Use Telephones, Pipes, Radios, Play Tennis, See Movies, Smoke Good Cigarettes, But Wear Old Clothes

An economic survey, made for the use of advertisers, showed that probably more than half of Harvard's undergraduates did not suffer from the depression in 1931-32.

Fifty-eight per cent of last year's upperclassmen had no cuts in their allowances during the past year, according to a report made public by the CRIMSON and the "Lampoon" recently. It was also found that the average cut in allowances amounted to six percent last year. Among other statistics the report discovered that 52 per cent of the upperclassmen had some sort of laxative on hand, 59 per cent used a mouthwash, while 82 per cent had in their possession antiseptics, such as iodine.

The survey found that 74 per cent of Harvard men of the upper three classes wore ready-made clothes, while only 24 per cent went to the tailor for their suits. Automobiles were personally owned by 27 per cent, while an additional 29 per cent have the use of a car. Sixty-five per cent of these men are regular smokers, only five per cent smoke cigars regularly, 42 per cent smoke pipes. The large percentage of 82 are habitual cigarette smokers. Eight per cent of all Harvard students smoke expensive cigarettes. It is revealed also that 66 per cent have telephones in their rooms, 70 per cent have their own typewriters, while 60 per cent own radios. In the case of the theater, 52 per cent attend the movies once a week or oftener. The seashore attracts 62 per cent in the summer and 75 per cent of these students play tennis; golf attracts only 45 per cent.