Acute Open-Mindedness

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be with held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON

I have read with some interest the comment published in the CRIMSON regarding Harvard's Presidential Poll, and I am moved to take issue with Professor Holcombe, who so blandly states in his interview that "this large Hoover vote seems to show that the younger generation has not realized the effects of the depression as their parents have".

There seems to have been no defense of the student view-point. Indeed, editorially the CRIMSON appears indirectly to support Socialist Holcombe's opinion; so if the CRIMSON will not speak for the intelligence of modern youth, I shall.

I must differ with Dr. Holcombe on this point; I believe that the youth of the country is more sensitive to the present slump than are the older people, who appear to sit dazedly by and trust in God and Mr. Roosevelt to wake them up. Youth has looked upon the situation and has divided into two camps--one which has thought the whole thing out and has turned to him who offers the most plausible plan for relief; and another which bleats of its magnificent open-mindedness and blindly rushes into Socialism.

The University students all over the nation have thought carefully before indicating their preference. Mr.Hoover has, in nearly every institution, been the choice of the large majority which constitutes the intelligence of the average student body. In a few isolated cases there have been outstanding faculty members like Dr. Holcombe who have declared for Socialism, expecting their students to follow their learned leadership. So far the student bodies have taken this pigmy Socialist movement for just what it really is: Merely an acute case of irresponsible open-mindedness. Harry, Nolder, Jr.

University of Southern California.

(Ed. Note: Professor Holcombe is supporting Roosevelt in the coming election. His interpretation of the undergraduate poll may be found in the CRIMSON of Friday, October 21st.