WORLD IS THE KINGDOM OF HEARST COLUMNIST

People Are O. O. McIntyre's Hobby, So He Rides Them--Step Right in For a Bust in the Snoot, He Adds

"It's a great life whether you weaken or not," declared O. O. McIntyre, who writes "New York Day by Day" for the Hearst papers, as he commented on his column writing to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "I have a weakness and admiration for black and white checked suits, and my office is furnished completely in chromium-plated furniture.

"In writing my column 'Day by Day,' all the world is my subject, so I shall not want. My immediate stamping ground is New York City. Here, the world passes in review. If a marriage occurs on Park Avenue it is fine material for a paragraph or two. If a new star appears in the footlights on Broadway, I go to the show and often give over an entire column to the effect the production has upon me. There is always some celebrity coming from Europe and I often go to the docks to catch a landing word from the great and and near great. The other day I went out to Quarantine just to see who was there and what they were doing. That is a sad-place, because it means to many aspiring immigrants the first and last view of the land of liberty.

"People are my hobby," continued McIntyre. "They are the stuff from which news is made. People do many things under many different circumstances. There seldom passes a day in which someone doesn't do something out of the ordinary. It is not the kings and statesmen that make the best news, but it is the common person of the street. The newsboy who stands at the entrance to A1 Smith's building, the peddlers of the lower East Side, the herd that wanders through the Aquarium daily, the captains of the river tugs, and the whistling traffic cop on his boat in Harlem are excellent sources for news stories.

"Dame Rumor has sent me on more wild-goose chases than I have ever taken the trouble to count. Often have I scrapped a perfectly good column to go out on a rumor tangle only to find that someone had struck another false alarm. But there is something fascinating about all this. Big news breaks now and then. These breaks make up for the slow days and put a new zest into the life of the newspaper world.

"I cherish the days when I was a cub reporter, because in that period one never knows exactly where the next story is coming from. Consequently, a news break is like a rainbow in the sky. But this column-writing business is another story. Anybody who thinks a column a day, year in and year out, must be just too much fun for anything, can step right into my office for a bust in the snoot."