HOUSE ELIGIBILITY

Tuesday's football game between the championship Winthrop House eleven and the winning Yale class team brought into sharp focus the weakness of the present rule permitting men on probation to engage in all inter-house contests, but prohibiting them from playing on a victorious house team against Yale.

The championship Winthrop eleven should in justice to all concerned have been made up of Winthrop men. However, due to the lack of substitutes in that house to fill in the five positions left vacant by regulars ineligible to play because of their scholastic standing, five men from other house teams had to be drawn in to provide competition for the visiting Elis, after the latter had first acquiesced in this odd scheme. Besides thoroughly breaking up the teamwork of the Winthrop team, this resort to material from other houses might easily have justified members of the next ranking full-strength house team in feeling that they should have had the chance to meet Yale.

It cannot be much more than a force to have house teams meeting Yale in any sports under the present conditions, and yet in view of the enjoyment that the students got out of these Yale contests it would be inadvisable to come having these inter-college games. Barring the unsatisfactory alternative of prohibiting men on probation from playing at all on house teams, the obvious and satisfactory solution is to permit men on probation to play in house contests against Yale.