TEA FOR TWO

The Republican candidate: "It is incredible that a candidate for the Presidency of the United States would broadcast such a violation of the truth.... The Democrats have used deliberate misrepresentations and colossal falsehoods.... The charge that the Supreme Court has been controlled by any political party is an atrocious one.... He is proposing changes and so-called new deals which would destroy the very foundations of our government."

The Democratic candidate: "President Hoover's campaign has yielded many examples of unscrupulous appeals for votes.... The President misrepresented me and misquoted himself... he did what he said ought not to be done.... He has enlisted the services of the captains of industry in spreading a campaign of coercion against workers in attempting to persuade them to vote the Republican ticket... They have tried to govern by guess and gamble... The President has lost his dignity and has indulged in personalities."

In a quiet corner of a large white house, two men smile, shake hands, sit down together for a friendly discussion of an urgent problem.