CASTLE TALKS AT FINAL RALLY OF REPUBLICANS

SPEAKERS DEAL LARGELY WITH PERSONALITY OF PRESIDENT

Following a dinner at Eliot House last night, a Republican rally was held in the Junior Common room of that House, under the auspices of the Harvard Republican Club.

The speakers were C. A. Herter 2nd '15, Republican Committeeman in Massachusetts, who acted as chairman of the meeting; W. R. Castle Jr. '00, Under-Secretary of State; Robert Luce '82, a member of Congress from the Cambridge district; and Commodore E. L. Jahncke, Assistant Secretary of the Navy. Several members of the faculty were included in the group which attended.

The first speaker, Congressman Luce, stated that the national election was more a matter of the character of the presidential nominee, than of party differences in principles. He then went on to the tariff, which the speaker claimed as a dead issue. Commodore Jahncke spoke next, and dealt mainly with the character and personality of President Hoover. The President, the speaker said, is "very human," and greatly interested in the Navy department.

Mr. Castle, the final speaker attempted to stress the fact that politics play no part in the department of State. In concluding, he outlined rather briefly the many achievements of President Hoover, during the past four years.

The meeting was more or less informal; rather a friendly discussion, than a series of partisan speeches. Commodore Jahncke, in particular, dealt more with personal anecdotes than politics.