1936 FAVORED NEW PLAN OVER OLD ONE IN COLLEGE BOARDS

Highest Seventh Plan Admits 110 Men From Remote Districts--Decrease Is Shown in High School Admissions

Of the 1101 students in the class of 1936, 667 men or 57.8 per cent of the total, entered Harvard College this year under the New Plan, it was revealed by a survey of Freshmen made public yesterday by the Committee on Admissions. This figure compares with 40 per cent a year ago, or a gain of 17.5 per cent.

The New Plan, which provides for four comprehensive examinations by the candidate in his last year of preparatory school, has been shown to be favored over the Old Plan during the last few years, with the exception of 1931. Two years ago the former was more popular by well over 100 men. This year there was a decided drop in the proportion of students entering under the Old Plan of examinations, whereby the candidates for admission accumulate 15 credits over the space of several years. Of this year's Freshman class, 384 students, or 33 per cent of the total, entered by this plan, as compared with 45 per cent a year ago.

Highest Seventh Plan

The remaining 110 men, representing 9.5 per cent of the total, were admitted to Harvard without examinations from schools in the far South and far West and from a few nearby schools in smaller centers. To be admitted without examination, these candidates must stand among the highest seventh of the boys in their class in school and be prepared in the subjects used in the New Plan examinations.

The Freshman statistics also show that there are members of the class from 40 out of the 48 states, and that 56 per cent of the class come from the New England states, the latter an increase of slightly more than two per cent over last year. Of the separate states, Massa- leads the list with 579 students; New York is second with 219; and, Pennsylvania is the third state with 59 men.

The average age of members of the class at entrance this year was 18.43, as compared with 18.36 a year age. It was revealed, furthermore, that the percentage of students from public schools was 41 per cent, a decrease of 4.1 per cent from the preceding year. The remaining 59 per cent were either prepared at private schools or by tutors