AWARD 180 AIDS, SCHOLARSHIPS TO MEMBERS OF 1936

88 Awards Given in Form of Aids, With 36 Harvard Club Grants--Men From Cambridge Receive 27

Award of 180 scholarships and aids to Freshmen in Harvard college was announced by the Committee on Scholarships of Harvard College. The awards total $63,570, or an average of about $350 for each student. The scholarships to Freshman follows previous announcements of scholarships this year to $162,954 for a total of 478 students in Harvard College.

Of the 180 Freshman awards,88 were made from the Price--Greenleaf, Parmenter, and other aid funds, 36 were made by Harvard Clubs throughout the country, and 21 Freshmen were awarded Cambridge scholarships or aids as qualified graduates of Cambridge schools. The remaining 35 awards include a number of individual scholarships, many of which give special preference to students from designated schools or localities, in accordance with the terms of the scholarships.

Branigan Wine Award

Among these are the Joshua Green scholarship for a student from Groton, awarded to Mansfield Branigan; the Ebenezer Rockwood Hour scholarship for a student from concord, awarded to Winthrop H. Lee; and the Somerville scholarship, awarded to Richard S. Green. The Lindsay Crawford Memorial Scholarships, for a student form Phillips Exeter Academy, nominated by the headmaster of that school, was awarded to William M. Higgins, Jr., of New York.

The Freshman scholarship holders represent a total of 23 states, as well as the District of Columbia, the Territory of Hawaii, and two foreign countries. Massachusetts heads the list with a total of 89 students, followed by New York with 27, Pennsylvania has nine, and Ohio, seven.

The complete list of Freshman scholarship holders, by states, is as follows:

Massachusetts

Herant J. Adzigian of Stoneham, Richard E. Alger of Middleboro, Frank A. Bautze of Jamaica Plain, Lawrence W. Boal of Waltham, Robert L. Bentley, 2nd of Arlington, Stephen A. Bixby of Boxford, Stanley J. Bogunieki of Westfield, Mansfield Branigan of Groton, Charles N. Breed, Jr. of Swampscott, Thomas J. Cavanagh, Jr. of Cambridge, Manley B. Cohen of Cambridge, Joseph S. Cotton of Turner's Falls, David C. Crawford of Watertown, John V. Curran of Cambridge, John D. Dorr of Bridgewater, Richard G. Dorr of Lancaster, Douglas P. Dryer of Waban, John F. Ducey, Jr. of Boston, Arthur F. Duffey. Jr. of Arlington, John G. Duffey of Arlington, Francis G. Dunlevy, West Roxbury, Walter W. Dwyer of Cambridge, Edgar I. Epstein of Brighton, Roberts Mck. Fish of Cambridge, Maurice Fishman of Cambridge, John F. FitzGerald of Newton, John B. Ford of Methuen, Clark W. Freeman of Cambridge, Ellis J. French of Danvers, Dominic R. Freni of Boston, Gerald F. Gilmore of Wayland, Milton J. Goldwasser of Cambridge, Richard S. Green of Somerville, William A. Greene, Jr. of Cambridge, William G. Hanson of Cambridge, John M. Hartwell, Jr. of Belmont, John B. Hawkins of Worcester, Gorge A. Heald of Roslindale, Sibley Higginbotham of Wollaston, Michael S. Hovenanian of Cambridge, Robert C. Hunter of Newtonville, Richard B. Johnson of Philips Beach, William W. A. Johnson of Cambridge, Grinnell Jones, Jr. of Cambridge, William P. Jones of Plymouth, Ralph Lazzaro of Wakefield, Winthrop H. Lee of Concord, Joseph LePrsti of Lawrence, Norman P. Leatarte of Leominster, John B. Little of Worcester, John J. Maloney, Jr. of Boston, John H.Murphy, Jr. of Winchester, William H. Nelson, Jr. of Newton Center, Homer E. Newell of Holyoke, Charles B. O'Neil, Jr. of Cambridge, Robert C. Putman of North Quincy, Robert H. Rawson of Abington, Paul Rutledge of Brookline, Robert D. Sall of Mattapan, Hubert Scheffy of West Mansfield, Richard F. Schmidt of Cambridge, Paul H. Segool of Boston, Roger M. Silsby of Fairhaven, James M. Smith of Wellesley, Wilder Smith of Gloucester , Manes Specter of Cambridge, Charles H. Stanton of Boston, John M. Strachan of Hude Park, David U, Sullivan of Cambridge, Edward D. Sulivan of Dorchester, James J. Sullivan of Dorchester, Leo E. Sweeney, Jr.. of Charlestown, Henry W. Syer of Sommerville, Paul C. Tiffany of Cambridge, Elwyn E. Tilden, Jr. of Holbrook, Frederick B. Tolles of Newtonville, Minot W. Tripp of Falmouth, Alexander A. Valois, Jr. of Cambridge, Herbert H. Walley, Jr. of West Newton, Herbert S. Wallis of Cambridge, Herbert H. Walley, Jr. of West Newton, Herbert S. Wallis of Cambridge, Francis J. Walsh of Cambridge, Earle H. Webster of Bridgewater, Harold P. White of Winchendon, Hayward P. White of Egypt, LeMoyne White of Boston, Walter S. White of Cambridge, Francis J. Whitfield of Springfield.

New York

John L. Angel of New York City, Melvin L. Barnet of Yonkers, Simon M, Bessie of New York City, Henry C. Brooks of Staten Island, Henry S. Bullard of Manhasset. George Van D. Comfort of New York City, Thomas L. Day of Hewlett, Gerald W. Downer of Poughkeepsie, Kyrie Elkin of Brookyln, Robert E. Von Elten of Brooklyn, Arhur M. Fields. Jr. of New York City, Richard W. Gilder of New York City, William M. Higgins, Jr. of New York City, Henry M. Hoyt of New York City, Andrew Kacmarcyk of Long Island City, Hubert D, Kernan, Jr. of Utica, Henry C. Knowiton of New York City, John T. McLoughlin of New York City, Henry V, Poor, Jr. of New York City, Arthur M. Sherwood, 3rd of New York City, Ross H. Smith of Rochester, John A. Strauss of New York City, Paul M. Sturges of Stone Ridge, Julian N. Trivers of Scarsdale, Richard E. Voland of New Rochelle, Robert L. Wolff of New York City.

Pennsylvania

Sidney S. Alexander of Forrest Hill, John D. Cook of Wilkinsburg, Pearson C. Cummin, Jr. of Devon, Harold B. Lang of AspinWall, Donald C. Logan of Turtle Creek, Harvey W. Miller of Wayne, William F. Read, 3rd, of Villa Nova, Irvin G. Shaffer of Reading, Grant E. Wesner of Reading.

Ohio

Elmer R. Best of Cheviot, Charles J. Forbes of Madison, Walter W. Jeffers of Worthington, Millard L. Kaplan of Cincinnati, Melvin Levy of Cleveland, John W. Teegarden of Dayton, Robert M. Terrall of Lakewood.

Connecticut

George J. Eingelhardt of Naugatuck, Joseph O. Gadd Jr. of Wallingford, Robert S. Goodyear of Waterbury, Carl A. Passaro of Derby, Max W. Rosenfeld of Bristol, Arnold M. Sweig of Plainville.

New Jersey

Louis C. Farley, Jr. of Orange, Howard, A. Hoffman of Newark, Edward C. Malewitz of Trenton, Everett B. Murphy of Irvington, George W. Oettle of Chatham, Robert I, Strong of New Brunswick.

Illinois

William T. Anderson of Hardin, Daniel H. Burnham, Jr. of Hubbard Woods, Samuel S. Greeley of Winnetka, John N. Hellmuth of Wilmette, Gordon Winlock of Glenn Ellyn.

Michigan

Robert M. Drysdale, Jr. of Grosse Point, Herbert T. Ginman of Muskegon, James T. Murphy of Iron Mt., Ansel B. Smith, Jr. of Grand Rapids.

Iowa

Kenneth L. Colton of Des Moines, Russell W. Harpner, Jr. of Ottumwa, George R. Poshr of Harnburg.

Washington

Frederick W. Lane, Jr. of Tacoma, Raymond J. Langebach of Spokane, Gibson B. Clay of Seattle.

Miscellaneous

George A. Hill of Seaford, Delaware, Robert Day of District of Columbia, James E. King of Leesburg, Florida, David H. Gordon, Jr. of Atlanta, Georgia, Audley H. Shoemaker of Augusta, Georgia, Thomas G. Cutis of Minneapoles, Minnesota, August G. Curtis of Minneapolis, Minnesota, August C. Helmholzh, 2nd. of Rochester, Minnesota, Theodore Smith of Kansas City, Missouri, George F. Tittmann of St. Louis, Missouri, Egbert W. Fischer of Butte, Montana, Paul J. Allen of East Barington, New Hampshire, Douglas W. Overton of Concord, New Hampshire, Ramon N. Svoboda of Prague, Oklahoma, Richard M. Ballou of Providence, Rhode Island, John B. Hickam of Galveston, Texas, Lemuel Bowden, Jr. of Norfolk, Virginia, John H. Gilbert of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Frank A. Welty, Jr. of Dubois, Wyoming, John T. Repun of Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, Lorne Rickert of Kitchener, Ontarie, Canada, Justin J. Thackara of Etretat, France