Subway Riots

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

During the last few years, a few students have caused annoyance to the public and have brought discredit on the College by taking part in disturbances in the Boston Elevated trains after Harvard hockey games at the Boston Garden. In view of this fact, it seems desirable at this time to call attention to the attitude of the Student Council, as representatives of the undergraduates, and of the Administration Board in regard to this matter. On February 11, 1932, the Student Council made public the following resolution:

"On January 14, 1932, a small group of Harvard students instigated a riot in the cars of the Boston Elevated after the Harvard-Minnesota hockey game. Similar incidents have occurred far too often during the past three years. Subway riots have become a custom.

"These disturbances caused by a very small minority endanger the good name of the University and the reputation of the undergraduates. It is evident that such a group does not realize the seriousness of these incidents. The property damaged is a mere trifle compared to the burden placed upon the Boston Elevated because of their responsibility for the welfare of their passengers. Men who start these disturbances subject all passengers who may be on the train at the time to inconvenience as well as chance of serious injury. These passengers may sue the Boston Elevated for any harm that comes to them while on the train regardless of its nature. The Elevated must, therefore, protect its rights as well as the rights of its passengers.

"Up to this time the college office has been very lenient in dealing with men involved in these riots for fear of doing injustice to those who became unwillingly involved in the disturbance. The situation has now reached a point where the college office must act, not only to protect the University, but also the interests of the public. The University authorities, the Faculty, and the great majority of the student body, who look upon these childish disturbances as a nuisance to the public and to the Boston Elevated, will stand behind the College Office in any action they may take against men involved in such incidents in the future. That this action must be drastic is quite evident.

"The Student Council urges the whole student body to do all in its power to prevent a recurrence of any such outbreak in the future."

The Administrative Board at the same time expressed its stand in the following statement:

"The Student Council resolution condemning disturbances in the subway following hockey games at the Boston Garden has the unqualified endorsement of the College authorities. Through the publication of the resolution and of editorials in the CRIMSON it is hoped that there will be built up a public sentiment among the undergraduates which will put an end for all time to these unfortunate incidents. It should be clearly understood, however, that for the good of the College the Administrative Board will be forced to take drastic action in the case of any students definitely involved in such disturbances."

I am confident that the College will receive the cooperation and support of all undergraduates in this matter during the coming season.  A. C. Hanford, Dean