"ATHLETICS FOR ALL"

Though House football has been going on for almost two years, it is certainly not as satisfactory to everyone as it might be. This sport, like all other intramural sports, was designed to give every man who so desired a chance to play and to contend against others of the same ability as himself. Thus far, however, this is in ideal rather than an actuality.

As the teams are now conducted, the coaches pick the best men available and the three or four substitutes--there are rarely more--look on from the sidelines for most of the game. Assuming that there are no casualties, a substitute seldom plays more than four or five minutes.

Allowing these extra men so meagre an amount of playing time is entirely unsatisfactory. No House team wants to lose, but football games between Adams and Lowell, or Dunster and Eliot, are not Stadium games. It would be far better to lose a game and have every man play for a reasonable period of time than to disappoint the substitutes who appear for practice daily and to leave them with the feeling that they are engaging not in a sport but in a strategic battle between House coaches.