FRESHMAN CHRISTMAS DINNER TO BE TONIGHT

FRESHMAN ORCHESTRA WILL PLAY POPULAR NUMBERS

Under the auspices of the 1936 Union Committee, the annual Freshman Christmas Dinner will be held tonight in the Union, after which Professor Charles Townsend Copeland '82 will read to the yearlings. The large dining room will be decorated with holly wreaths and evergreens.

Delmar Leighton '19, dean of Freshmen, Assistant Deans W. J. Bender '27 and Henry Chauncey '28, Henry Pennypacker '88, chairman of the Committee on Admissions, Matthew Luce '91, Regent of the University, and the head proctors will dine with the Freshmen.

During the dinner the Freshman orchestra, in its first public performance, will play from the balcony. Included in their program are the following popular numbers: "Underneath the Harlem Moon," "Pink Elephants," "The Cop on the Beat," "The St. Louis Blues," and "Business in F."

Just a generation ago, when the Union was experiencing the first year of its existence, Professor Copeland inaugurated the custom of giving a reading appropriate to the spirit of Christmas, or perhaps only to the anticipation of vacation. He has continued giving this reading every year, and tonight he continues this tradition at 7.30 o'clock in the Upstairs Common Room. Leighton will introduce the entertainer of honor, and then, upon a platform which has been erected under his own supervision, Professor Copeland will read. The 1936 Union Committee, which includes Braman Gibbs, chairman, S. R. Callaway, Davies Gratwick, Shaun Kelley, N. P. LeTarte and R. M. Terrall, will usher at the reading, opening the doors at 7.20 o'clock. The first 250 men may gain admission.