A PRACTICAL IDEALISM

It is said that in 1924, the city government of Cincinnati was so rotten that there were holes in the streets. But by 1927, as the result of a reform movement, the government had been transformed into one of the best in the country. One of the men at the bottom of this reform movement was Murray Seasongood '00, who last night completed the Godkin series of lectures on local government.

As a result of his work in Cincinnati, Mr. Seasongood was well qualified to speak of civic reform. He was a prominent worker in a "citizens' party" which rose up from among the people of Cincinnati to take upon its shoulders the fight against civic corruption, waste, and political jobbery. Organizing itself as effectively as any political party, this citizens' group won its fight. In 1925, Mr. Seasongood became mayor of the city and carried forward the work of reform. It was the benefit of this actual experience in civic reform that he gave his hearers in the six lectures which he delivered.

Perhaps the most important point, so far as the college man is concerned, which he made in this series of lectures, was his statement that reform must come through a process of education which brings new social standards before the people, and makes them more conscious of the all-important role which city government plays in their affairs. But far more significant than anything Mr. Seasongood might say concerning local government are the actual achievements of him and his colleagues in Cincinnati. At a time when there is prevslent widespread corruption on the one hand, and a sense of the futility of reform on the other, these achievements stand as positive proof that men animated with a true public spirit, and possessing knowledge and initiative can effect vital reformations in local government. These accomplishments in Cincinnati offer both hope and inspiration to men interested in making themselves factors for good in government.