Geographical Institute To Train Students For Research in the Field---Equipment is Described

Travellers Club, Composed of Many Distinguished Men Located in Building

In a recent article in the Boston Evening Transcript, C. B. Palmer describes the new Institute of Geographical Exploration, the gift of Dr. A. H. Rice '98, professor of Geographical Exploration and Curator of South American Archaeology and Ethnology, Peabody Museum. In his description and comments on the equipment of the new building, he says in part: "The Institute has set itself the job of training students in the conduct of original research in geography. It intends to instruct them in field methods, in the gathering of data, in the conduct of an expedition, giving them the practical contact with theories studied.

Course Described

"The title course, geographical exploration, is a survey of the field from the time of Humboldt to the present and a discussion of the requirements for exploration at the present time; the latter including physical equipment, field methods, technical background and morale. The technicological courses include a half year each in elementary and advanced topographic and hydrographic-surveying. Another course is in field astronomy, a science which is chiefly valuable in the determination of fixed points, employing theodolite, sextant and astrolabe. Cartography provides training in map projections and drawings, sketching in the field and converting to office maps.

"Advanced students may take up aero-photography and aero-survey under the famous Captain A. W. Stevens, learning the technique of this new auxiliary of exploration and surveying. Another advanced course is called "Research in Mathematical Geography and Geographical Exploration," and is for those qualified to undertake original investigations in the field or laboratory.

Special Clock

"The building which houses these activities is replete with ingenious and valuable equipment. Opened this fall for the first time, several groups of people have been the guests of Dr. Rice on inspection tours. Under his leaderships or that of Weld Arnold '18, instructor in Geography, such tours are apt to start in the basement where a solid cement vault stands at one end of the building. Within it, on a solid, sand-cushioned pillar, there is a rare type of clock, one of seven in this country. It is a product of English manufacture and its exceptionally delicate mechanism establishes for the institute the primal fact of geography, the exact time. It is wired to another mechanism in the clock room, where several varieties of time are kept, subject to radio and astronomical check.

"In the basement also will be photographic dark rooms for the aerial department.

Travellers Club

"On the first floor are offices, conference rooms, a large drafting room and, at the other end of the building, an instrument room exhibiting apparatus of historical or practical value. Many types of time pieces, special cameras, theodolities, compasses and such things are included. A room near the entrance has been set aside for the use of the Travellers' Club, a body of distinguished gentlemen whose interest in travel and exploration has drawn them together but who have been hitherto without permanent quarters. A prized furnishing of their room is a large wall map, much lined with red, representing the journeyings of its members.

"The largest room on the first floor is the auditorium, a compect assembly of mechanical excellences, designed to enhance the lectures and films presented under the institute's auspices. Decorated in soft colors and seating about three hundred people, it is equipped with the most modern projectors for lantern slides, silent and sound films. At the side of the platform there are several brass plates of switches and buttons. These control the electrically driven shutters in the skylight overhead, the concealing lights, the velvet curtains and the multiple drops. These drops comprise three blackboards which disappear into the files, allowing sketches to be retained and obviating the delays of erasing, also a new type movie screen, and a platform containing the sound apparatus. This gives free usage of the stage, allowing it to be cleared entirely, or used in any degree of completeness.

Intricate Instruments

"The second floor contains the class rooms, the field communications laboratory, the library and map collections, as well as offices and store rooms.

"Upon the roof is a chart house topped by a meteorological shelter. Here are set up the indicating and recording instruments, one of them, for wind, being particularly interesting.

"There is no direct connection between the revolving fixture and the dial in the cubicle. The spindle above ends in a flat horizontal plate, and close beneath is another plate. Electrically charged, the lower swings with the other, but is not subject to spinning.

"Keeping the chart house company on the roof are two new radio towers and several brick pedestals where students will acquire practice with surveying and astronomical instruments. Some one was ingenious enough to have the pedestals made in varying heights, that tall and short and average students might all work comfortably.