HOUSE EXHIBITIONS

The average student, burdened with the exacting requirements of courses and extra-curricular activities, ordinarily has little time in which to indulge his inherent taste for art. With the realization of this fact, certain students in Lowell and Dunster Houses have conceived the plan of displaying in the respective Houses works of art contributed by members. The Lowell House exhibit is at present on display in the Student's Common Room, while plans for the Dunster exhibit are still in a nascent state.

The benefits of such a scheme are evident and manifold. At present the comparative inconvenience of Fogg Museum discourages many from visiting it. On the other hand nothing could be more convenient than the exhibit in Lowell House. It is possible for men to saunter casually into the Common Room after dining, and satisfy their natural craving for the artistic with a minimum of time and energy spent. The congenial atmosphere of the Common Room, in contrast to the air of formality which pervades Fogg, or any other museum of art, places the observer at his case, and permits him to derive a maximum of pleasure from the exhibit. Furthermore the popularity of the Common Room has been increased: thus intercourse between men of the house is stimulated, and an opportunity for forming new friendships provided.

It is to be hoped that other Houses will follow the example which Lowell has set. The fact that Dunster is planning a similar exhibit indicates the popularity of the plan. A few good works, selected with discrimination, will afford as much pleasure and profit to the average student as will a whole museum.