BIRKHOFF AWARDED HENRY SCHOLARSHIP

Four Englishmen Named to Attend Yale And Harvard--Brikhoff Plans to Study Mathematics

Garrett Birkhoff '32, of Cambridge, has been awarded one of the Charles and Julia Henry Scholarships for the academic year 1932-33 it was announced last night by the American trustees of the fund. Birkhoff, who prepapred at Browne and Nichols and Northwood School at Lake Placid, was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Junior Eight last year and plays on the Lowell House "B" squash team. He and Marshall Hall of Yale will study mathematics at Cambridge.

The two other American recipients of the Scholarships were Virginia Moore Shull, of George Washington University, now a graduate student at Yale, and Frank P. Ostrander, Jr. of Williams. Both will go to Oxford, Miss Shull to study dramatic literature and Ostrander to study international relations and diplomacy.

The Englishmen picked by the British trustees to attend Harvard are John Francis Butler of Oxford who will study philosophy and religion, and Frederick Fuller of the University of Liverpool who will study French literature. Miss Elsie P. Corbery of Oxford and Donald R. Dudley of Cambridge will attend Yale.

The Henry Scholarships were awarded for the first time last year and carry an annual stipend of 500 pounds, with the possibility of extension for a second year. Four students are chosen from American colleges to live at Oxford and Cambridge and four from England are given scholarships at Harvard and Yale. Two of the American scholars chosen last year were W. W. Foshay '31, who went to Odford and D. D. Lloyd '32, who is studying at Cambridge.

The Henry Scholarships were founded under the will of Lady Henry "in the earnest hope and desire of cementing the bonds of friendship between the British Empire and the United States."