Morison Tells of John Leverett in Talk at Leverett House Last Night--Says He Was One of Greatest Administrators

"Leverett's was the greatest administration between those of Dunster and Eliot," said Samuel P. Morison, professor of history, last night at Leverett House, in a talk on John Leverett, for whom the house is named. Professor Morison's paper will be included in a volume he is preparing on Harvard for the College's three hundredth anniversary.

Leverett was the grandson of John Leverett. Governor of Massachusettsw graduation from Harvard in 1680 became a tutor in the impoverished University, whose sole officers were a president, four tutors, one for each class, and a steward. The tutors, who taught all subjects, from Latin to astronomy, were usually recent graduates.

"For over ten years Leverett become more and more popular," said Professor Morison, "and seen the leader of the liberal element at Harvard. He and his supporters were opposed by licensee Mather 1606 then rector (president) of the University. This bitter struggle between the conservative and liberal causes, which involved particularly the fields of theology and education, spread all over New England. Leverett finally left Harvard, and within a few years became a justice of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts."

In 1707, following the reorganization of the University. Leverett became its president. During if he succeeded in impressing on Harvard his liberal point of view. Which consisted of religious and educational toleration and freedom from. sectarian dictation. This emphasis continued, in spite of the Mathers and the new University at New Haven, which openly bid for "the sons of solid New England families." By offering a "proper" education, Harvard prospered, both in its type of teaching and in numbers. One of Leverett's last graduating classes numbered 45, the largest in the University's history up to their time and for 40 years to come, John Leverett died in 1724, after a presidency of fourteen years, during which he laid down many of the principles under which the University now operation.

His administration was an achievement between voids of poor management