LIBRARY ACQUIRES BOOKS, PERIODICALS

Subscriptions to 140 Periodicals Will Augment Schofield Collection--Are of Value to Make it Complete

A gift of Portuguese and Polish books from J. B. Stetson, Jr. '06, honorary curator of Portuguese, and an arrangement to subscribe to 140 periodical publications in the Icelandic tongue, were announced yesterday at the College Library.

The Stetson collection in the most recent in a series of gifts to the Library extending over a period of years. With his mother, Mr. Stetson has given the Library of Count Pohla, probably the best collection of books relating to Portuguese affairs in existence.

Of Mr. Stetson's new gift, the Polish books include Professor Leopold Jaworski's "Proposed Constitution," of which less than 100 copies were printed. This copy was given to Stetson by a member of the Polish government commission to which it was presented and is of considerable value.

The second group of volumes, chiefly in Portuguese, contains South American poetry and literature. An especially rare portion of this collection is notable for its fine bindings. There are also some ten volumes relating to African dialects.

With the cooperation of Sigurthur Nordal, Charles Eliot Norton professor of Poetry, and F. S. Cawley, assistant professor of Scandinavian Languages and Literatures, about 140 Icelandic publications, principally from Reykjavik, the capital of that country, and Winnipeg, Canada, will reach the Library regularly. They will continue series in the Schofield Memorial collection, which, with these additions, will probably constitute one of the best collections of its kind in existence.

The collection, consisting of magazines, newspapers, and publications, was purchased by Mrs. Henry Schofield from Kristjan Kristjanssen, book collector of Reykjavik, and presented to the Library in memory of her husband, who was chairman of Comparative Literature at Harvard from 1906 until his death in 1920. Kristjanssen has consented to act as the agent of the Library in the matter of the forth-coming subscriptions