ROAD FROM WIEMAR

Lectures and prizes in commemoration of Johann Von Goethe, author and scholar, have been common in universities for a century. At the ending of the second century since his death, the Harvard Department of Germanic languages and literatures as well as the Visiting Committee on German have further kept his memory alive by arranging four public evening lectures at Sanders Theater. Professor Eugen Kuhnemann, brilliant lecturer of the University of Breslau has already commanded two of such meetings. Dr. Gerhart Hauptmann and Professor Bliss Perry, Emeritus, will deliver the two remaining lectures on March fourth and March twenty-second respectively.

Few Professor Emeritus left a higher regard and deeper affection among students than Bliss Perry. Fisherman, Editor, and Teacher, his kindly simplicity and charm are remembered long after English 41 fades into the dimly forgotten. Dr. Hauptmann, German dramatist and playwright, is equally qualified to speak in this field. As an historian, novelist, and philosopher of history, Goethe spanned past and present and still raises vital issues in the modern world. Societies of commemoration, lectures, and prizes could be, and have been, devoted to less worthy ends than that of keeping alive his work.