MORIZE IS NEW HISTORY AND LITERATURE HEAD

PLANS NO CHANGES IN DIVISION AT PRESENT

Andre Morize, professor of French Literature, was selected chairman of the committee on degrees in History and Literature at the recent meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. For the present, according to a statement he made yesterday, he plans no change in the organization of the division.

Professor Morize succeeds K. B. Murdock, associate professor of English and tutor in the division of Modern Languages, who was chosen Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences last spring. E. A. Whitney, associate professor and tutor in History and Literature, has been acting chairman of the Division during the present academic year.

In 1900 Professor Morize received the degree of Bachelier es Lettres from the University of France; from the same institution he was awarded the degrees of Lic. es Lettres and Agrege des Lettres in the years 1906 and 1907 respectively. In 1907 he became professor of French Literature at the Lycee of Montauban, and from 1910 to 1913 he held a similar position at the University of Bordeaux.

Coming to the United States as a member of the Faculty of Johns Hopkins, Morize soon returned to France; in 1914 he entered the French army with the rank of Captain, which he held until 1919. He first came to Harvard as a lecturer on Military Science and Tactics in 1917. The next year he was made assistant professor of French Literature, and in 1925 he attained full professorship.