BOYLSTON AND LEE WADE COMPETITORS APPLY THIS MONTH

Fitzgerald and Ryan Took First Places As Sophomores--Passages Must Be Delivered From Memory

All men intending to compete for the Boylston and Lee Wade Public Speaking Prizes must register by Monday, February 29, it was announced yesterday. On or before this date all Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores in good standing who wish to enter this contest must submit their selection of a passage to F. C. Packard, Jr. '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking, for this approval.

The passages, which must be committed to memory, are usually in English, although both Latin and Greek selections are permitted and have won prizes in recent years. They should require about five to seven minutes to deliver and candidates are advised to register their choices early, to prevent the possibility of two candidates offering the same selection.

Because of the large number of competitors for these prizes, an elimination contest will be held on or about March 15 in Emerson D. The final competition between the ten surviving speakers will be held on Wednesday, April 6, either in Sanders Theatre or in the Auditorium of the School of Geography.

The Boylston Prizes which are among the oldest awards in the College, consist of a first prize of $50 and two other prizes of $35 each. Ward Nicholas Boylston founded them in 1817, in memory of his uncle, Nicholas Boylston, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory. Since then, there has been a competition every year. the Lee Wade Prize of $50, which is awarded as the first prize of the evening, was established in 1915 by Dr. Francis Henry Wade in honor of his son, Lee Wade, II '14.