Former Crimson President Discusses Business, Editorial Boards--"Can't See Vagabond Advertising Copy"

The following article on the Crimson competitions which open tomorrow night was written by a former president of the Crimson. Competitions for the Business and Editorial Boards, open to Sophomores, and for the News, Business, and Photographic Boards, open to Freshmen, all start tomorrow night with a meeting in the President's office in the Crimson Building, 14 Plympton Street, at 7.15 o'clock.

It was requested that I discuss the Business and the Editorial departments. They really have little in common; in fact, the only way in which they are combined is that they are two boards for which competitions are open to Sophomores at the present time. Otherwise there is little similarity between them. I find it difficult indeed to visualize an editorial man, of the temperament of a Vagabond writer, for instance, handling shrewd business men or writing straightforward advertising copy; or seeing a business man turn from his adding machine to dictate an editorial on secondary schools. But, of course, one board could not function without the other and both are integral parts of the Crimson.

I was not a member of the Business Board so what I say about it is mostly what I gathered by observation. The work done there comprises such odd duties as writing an advertisers copy for him, seeing that the printers use the correct and most attractive type, carrying on correspondence with national houses, and dickering with advertising concerns in re-contracts with their clients. Securing local advertising is, of course, one of the major tasks; there are also the routine duties of office work and collecting copy. All the clerical work is done by a permanent secretary. The main advantage to be gained is, of course, the ability to handle business affairs of more than minor importance with efficiency and accuracy. It is real business life, a good preparation for work with a large scale newspaper, an advertising concern, or almost any business house.

The best way in which to describe the editorial board is to consider how a column is run. The men on the board alternate in taking charge of it, usually writing one or two of the editorials themselves and criticizing those handed in by the candidate. During the evening some of the other editors will drop in and glance at the eds. In nine cases out of ten some argument as to a certain point in an editorial will ensue, resulting in either partial or entire revision. There is no place where frank criticism is more in evidence than the editorial room of the CRIMSON. Although each editorial which appears in the morning is largely the work of the one man they have all had the benefit of discussion by members of the board