UNIVERSITY NATATORIAL MEET ATTRACTS 52 MEN

NEW EVENT, 150-YARD MEDLEY, PROVES TO BE POPULAR RACE

Fast times and even competition in nearly every event featured the annual University swimming meet, held yesterday afternoon at the Indoor Athletic Building. Fifty-two men took part, including many members of the Freshman and University teams. A new event the 150-yard medley race, was an added attraction of the meet, and, to judge, from the interest shown in it, one which will be continued.

In commenting on the meet, Coach Ulen said, "It was almost without question the best that has ever been held; in view of the large number of entries, and the general enthusiasm shown, it may be reasonably expected that next year it will assume the proportions of an important event on the schedule, and be held in the evening." He went on to say that next winter there would probably be, in addition, an intramural meet, which would exclude all holders of swimming letters.

In the 50-yard free style and 100-yard backstroke races, competition was particularly keen: in the former, R. D. Fallon '33 shaved his last year's time to 24 3-5 sec., while in the latter E. E. Stowell '34 cut his own championship time by two seconds. Stowell and E. P. Woodruff 1G.B. were the stars of the meet, each carrying off laurels in two events.

The summary:

50-yard free style--won by R. D. Fallon '33; second, Fisher Howe '35; third, J. R. Fetcher 3E.S. Time--24 3-5 sec.

220-yard free style--won by E. P. Woodruff 1G.B.; second, Fisher Howe '35; third, C. L. Jack '35. Time--2 min., 26 sec.

100-yard backstroke--won by E. E. Stowell '34; second, E. G. Helvenston '33; third, H. V. Atherton '32. Time--1 min., 6 4-5 sec.

100-yard breast stroke--won by F. L. Spreckels '35; second, M. V. Leventritt '35; third, H. D. Welnstein 1L. Time--1 min., 14 3-5 sec.

100-yard free style--won by E. P. Woodruff 1G.B.; second, Fisher Howe '35; third, S. M. Wyman '35. Time--56 1-5 sec.

Dive--won by J. P. Duane '32; second, H. S. Bowen '35; third, Sidney Bluhm '32.

150-yard medley race--won by E. E. Stowell '34; second, R. D. Fallon '33; third, W. R. Timken '33. Time--1 min., 49 3-5 sec.