Deadlock In German Election Gives Communists balance Of Power Says Fay--Hindenburg Should Eventually Triumph

"The result of yesterday's election in Germany gives the balance of power to the Communists in the election of April 10," Professor S. B. Fay said in communication with the CRIMSON late last night. "The Communists have the choice of two alternatives, either to vote for Von Hindenburg or not to vote at all. It is scarcely conceivable that they will consider polling for Hitler at all, since the Communist and the German Fascists are not exactly on speaking terms." Since, if they abstain from voting at all, the election will go to von Hindenburg, and if they vote for von Hindenburg, of course the majority will go in his favor; it looks as though the coming election will be his; unless some untoward happening changes the likely order of things.

The Nationalists are probably going to enroll under the aegis of the Hitlerites, though even they are liable to split. The Nationalists have the common discase of the prolorariat in times of distreas, discontent. This discontent is general they are against everything quite impartially, so it is quite logical that they should disapprove of the largest and most prominent thing that catches their eye, the party in power, Fay said.

Thus it would seem that the Hitlerites have cast their total strength in yesterday's election, while von Hindenburg may lose or gain in his number of votes. If Hitler wins, it cannot be determind whether German credit will be hurt abroad, since Hitler has promised that all reparations will be paid, while if von Hindenburg wins, the German credit will be definitely put upon a sounder basis."

Professor A. N. Holcombe '06. in an interview earlier in the evening before the final results were known, declared, "The small number of votes cast for the Communist party candidate constitutes a severe blow to the Communist party in Germany. The fact that the Communist followers did not held their allegiance is significant, and will set back the Communist leaders in Moscow considerably."

The Russian leaders had counted on this election to strengthen their position in Germany, Holcombe said, and while, according to Fay, in the next elections the Communists will have an exxagerated power vested in them, their power thereafter would seem to be considerably less than formerly believed.PROFESSOR A. N. HOLCOMBE '06