RECEIVE FUND FOR RESEARCH WORK IN GEOLOGY DIVISION

Plan to Concentrate First on Problems Of Seismology--Form Committee To Administer Gift

In a new project for geophysical research, concentrating at the start on data of basic value in seismology, work will be carried on for five years under the Division of Geology by the aid of gifts to the University totaling $100,000. Half of this sum, in the form of an annual award of $10,000, is being supplied by the Rockefeller Foundation, while the remainder is to be donated by friends of the departments concerned.

The grant from the Rockefeller Foundation is contingent upon an equal amount of support from other sources outside the University; of the latter, funds for the first year are now on hand, and a substantial amount has been pledged toward the contributions needed for the remaining four years.

The work will be administered by the Division of Geology and will be under the immediate supervision of an inter-departmental committee consisting of R. A. Daly, Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology (Chairman), P. W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, L. C. Graton, Professor of Mining Geology, Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the Observatory, and D. H. McLaughlin, Professor of Mining Engineering.

In acknowledging the gift the committee said, "The opportunity to undertake work in this important field, which is made possible for a period of five years by the generosity of a small group of loyal friends of the University and by the encouraging and stimulating assistance of the Rockefeller Foundation, is a gift of real value to Harvard."