SWIMMERS WIN AND LOSE INTERCOLLEGIATE TITLES

Stowell Defeats Anderson of Yale, and White of Brown by Half Foot--Set New Navy Pool Record.

A title was won and another lost by Harvard swimmers in the finals of the Intercollegiates Saturday. Repeating his victory over Anderson in the Yale dual meet and avenging a defeat earlier in the season by White of Brown, Stowell beat out both these men by half a foot in the back stroke. His time of 1 minute, 47 1-10 seconds set a new Navy pool record.

Wood Loses

B. S. Wood '33 lost the 440-yard free style championship to Spence of Rutgers, who swam the event in 5 minutes, 13 9-10 seconds. Spence led the Harvard captain by 15 yards at the finish wood took fourth place in the 220, which went to Butler of Yale.

R. D. Fallon '33, who was entered in the 50, failed to qualify in the preliminaries yesterday.

The summary:

150-yard back stroke--won by E. E. Stowell '34; second, White (Brown): third, Anderson, (Yale): fourth, Pierson, (Yale) Time--1 min., 47 1-10 sec. (New pool record).

440-yard free style--won by spence (Rufgers); second, R. S. Wood '33; third, Harte, (Yale) fourth; Rarker (Yale); fifth, Osborne, (Yale). Time--5 min., 13 9-10 sec (New pool record).

220-yard free style--won by Butler (Yale); second, Hapke (Yale); third, Osborne (Yale); fourth R. S. Wood '33. Time--2 min., 23 sec.