FINALISTS CHOSEN FOR SPEAKING COMPETITION

HILLYER AND MAYNADIER SERVE AS JUDGES

Ten finalists were chosen yesterday in the competition for the Boylston and Lee Wade prize speaking awards. Because of the large number of entrants in the contest, three elimination hearings were necessary. This afternoon at 1.15 o'clock the ten survivors of yesterday's trials will meet Professor F. C. Packard '20, who is in charge of the awards, in Holden Chapel for further instruction.

The following speakers were selected by R. S. Hillyer '17, assistant professor of English, and G. H. Maynadier '89, assistant professor of English, who acted as judges: Albert Allen '33, P. H. Cohen '32, A. L. Gordon '34, M. F. Loewenstein '32, T. I. Moran '32, H. D. Pattison '34, Charles Sedgwick '34, Leo Srole '33, D. M. Sullivan '33, and J. C. Willis '32.

The final trials will take place on Wednesday, March 30, and will probably be held in the large lecture room of the Fogg Museum. The Lee Wade prize of $50 will be awarded to the winner of the contest. The first Boylston prize of the same amount will go to the next best speaker, while the other two Boylston prizes, consisting of $35 each, will be given to the third and fourth speakers. This year 47 men reported for the first trials, the largest number since 1927.