ESPLANADE NOW BEING WIDENED TO BEAUTIFY CHARLES RIVER BASIN

LAGOON TO PROVIDE ANCHORAGE AND SKATING RINK

As the outcome of a resolve passed four years ago by the Legislature of Massachusetts, creating a commission to "investigate means and methods of making the Charles River Basin more safe, suitable, and attractive for recreation and civic welfare purposes", improvements are now under way for the widening of the Charles River Esplanade, construction of a boat haven and breakwater near the Union Boat Club, and the construction of a lagoon, 1000 feet in length, oposite Exeter and Fairhaven Streets, so that the present park will extend with out a break, from the dam to Cottage Farm Bridge.

The strongest winds over the basin are from the northwest, and owing to the width of the basin these winds frequently make the water so rough that the waves rebound from the wall to a considerable distance. This condition has been found very unsatisfactory by boating and rowing interests, and these individuals and associations have been strongly desirous of an improvement in the basin as regards rowing conditions. The treatment of the new shoreline is expected to break up the waves and materially decrease the cross-chop existing at present.

Skating Possible

The lagoon which will be built will provide a place where small boats may be used and where skating will be possible in the winter time. Coincident with the completion of the work, boat landings and recreational facilities will be installed.

Although a considerable amount of the filling placed in the vicinity of the Longfellow and Cottage Farm Bridges was obtained from excavations in various parts of the city, the filling now is largely being taken from the bottom of the basin. Borings were taken at 500 foot intervals each way over the entire extent of the basin to determine the character of the river bed and the depths of the various strata. In general, the bottom consists of a layer of mud and silt, under which is a layer of gravel, and below this is clay or hard pan. A curious thing that was made apparent, after dredging began, was that in sections of the basin there are large beds of oyster shells where the river flowed before the dam was constructed in 1908. Officials in charge expressed the opinion that these shells had been left there by early inhabitants of the district, but it was not made clear whether the early fathers or the Indians made sea food an important item on their menu.

The Boston shore will be extended on an average of 135 feet, with a maximum extension of 300 feet and a minimum of 115 feet. No roadway is to be constructed upon any part of the embankment, but it will be loamed and seeded with grass, embellished with trees and shrubbery, and paths will be laid near to the water's edge.