BAR ROOMS

Law School students received notice that in addition to Walter Hastings and Perkins Halls, three other dormitories will be opened exclusively to them in the fall of 1932. The new quarters will enable the administration to accommodate double the number of Law men now lodged in University buildings. The announcement follows close on the heels of the recent agitation for a Law House Plan. It is an indication that the University is at last turning its attention to a situation that is highly unsatisfactory not only in view of the nature of the particular training of the school itself, but of the far superior advantages enjoyed by other graduate schools.

Hitherto, the great majority of Law School men have been unable to live in University buildings, for the facilities have provided for only a small percentage of the fifteen hundred students. They have been forced to dwell in scattered boarding houses and apartments, and most have had to take their meals in restaurants.

Of all the professions, probably, the one to which hearty discussion and strong esprit are most necessary is law. And although the Medical and Business Schools have been provided with every facility to encourage group spirit through intimate contact between colleagues, there has been no effort to afford the Law School similar advantages. Conditions have, in fact, long been cogent, and the complete enjoyment of relationships natural within the profession have been impossible. But signs now indicate that the Law School is finally receiving its due consideration. Although the present action is forwarded and encouraging, it can, because of the enormity of the problem, be regarded only as introductory. For if any improvement of the present situation is to be effected, the University must turn its efforts toward institutions something very similar to the House Plan in the Law School.