ELEVEN MEN SURVIVE IN FENCING TOURNAMENT

WESSELMAN, COPLAND, HURD ARE AMONG BEST CONTENDERS

As a result of preliminary rounds during this week 11 men have survived the competition in the University fencing tournament and seven men remain in the Freshman tournament. The final round for the championship will take place on April 1.

Yesterday and Tuesday the preliminaries in epee and sabre were run off, and on Monday the foils preliminaries were completed. In the foils the chief contenders are two graduate students, H. B. Wesselman 1L and M. U. Copland 3L., who took all their bouts without allowing a single touch. The other outstanding contenders are Gilbert Kerlin '33 and G. M. Yatsevitch '33, both of whom won their primary meetings with ease. J. G. Hurd '34 and A. W. Williams, Tutor, got to the last round by default. Hurd has proved his worth during the past season on the University fencing team. In the epee matches he won seven of his bouts yesterday, while F. C. Steele 3L, took the second highest number of touches for a total of five points. T. I. Moran '32 and Yatseveitch each got four points.

Supplying a needed polishing to the 'scutcheon' of the University team fencers, R. B. Lawson '32 and H. P. Walker '33 came in first in the sabre matches yesterday, with six and five points respectively. J. F. Varian 3L, a newcomer, captured four bouts to qualify for the final bracket. Hurd displayed his versatility by qualifying in the sabre with three points; this puts him in the final frame of all three divisions.

In the University tournament finals on April 1 the competitors will be as follows: Foil: Copland, Gilbert Kerlin '33, H. B. Wesselman 1L, Yatsevitch, Hurd, and Williams, Epee: Hurd, Yatsevitch, T. I. Moran '32, and F. L. Steele '33. Sabre: R. B. Lawson '32, H. P. Walker '33, J. F. Varian 3L, and Hurd.