PEIRCE PAPERS ONE OF VOLUMES PUBLISHED BY UNIVERSITY PRESS NOW

"GLIGLOIS", "SPENSER AND THE TABLE ROUND" PUBLISHED

Three new books from the plates of the Harvard University Press were put on sale yesterday, together with additional copies of two recently printed volumes. Of the new publications, the most important is the second volume of the "Collected Papers of Charles Sanders Peirce", which treats the elements of Logic.

Peirce during his lifetime was a man of retiring habits, but after his death a wealth of philosophical speculations was found which Charles Harishorne and Paul Weiss are classifying and editing. Peirce has been characterized as the greatest American philosophic genius. He is the creator of pragmatism and the founder of modern logic. James, Royce, Schroder, and Dewey have acknowledged their indebtedness to him. He introduced into modern philosophy the doctrine of scholastic realism, developed the concepts of chance, continuity and objective law, and showed the philosophical significance of the theory of signs and mathematical logic.

Arthurian Romance

"Gliglois", a French Arthurian Romance of the Thirteenth Century, in an important study in old French Literature. The unique original manuscript was burned in the fire which swept the National Library of Turin in 1904. Fortunately the late Wendelin Foerster had made a transcript of it, which Harvard acquired upon his death in 1915. On the basis of this material C. H. Livingston of Bowdoin Colleges has edited this book, which is the eighth in a series of Harvard studies in Romance Languages.

Study in Comparative Literature

"Spenser and the Table Round", by C. B. Millican is the eighth volume in Harvard Studies in Comparative Literature Queen Elizabeth and all the Tudors were so much interested in their Welsh descent, and all that it implied, that it was almost inevitable for Spenser to use the Arthurian legend in a poem which glorified his sovereign on the basis of national legend. During her reign Arthurian interests were abundant, and those interests were abundant, and those interested in the backgrounds and sources of English poetry will find little-known treasures of British folk-lore and myth.

Jones and Morison Books

Additional copies of "Mysticism and Democracy in the English Commonwealth", by R. M. Jones, professor of Philosophy at Haverford College, and "The Street Railway in Massachusetts", by Edward S. Mason, have been put on sale.

In pamphlet form copies of the address of S. E. Morison '08, "The Young Man Washington", will be issued to satisfy the great demand and approbation which met the speech which was delivered in Sanders Theatre at the celebration of Washington's Birthday.