LAWSON TAKES SECOND IN SABRE FOR HARVARD

CALIFORNIAN DEFEATS LAWSON IN FINAL ROUND

Showing considerably less skill than they have exhibited with their weapons during the past season, the Harvard fencers, with one exception, were forced out in the second round of the individual championships of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association Saturday and yesterday. R. B. Lawson '32, the only man to remain in the running, was defeated by Kaiser of California in the finals of the sabre bouts.

In the foils bouts the competition was exceptionally keen, with J. G. Hurd '34 and Gilbert Kerlin '33 defeating their opponents only to find themselves up against the best swordsmen in the country in the second round. Potter, Yale captain and intercollegiate champion in the foils for the last two years, won his way into the second round with four straight victories, and then overwhelmed Hurd without allowing the Crimson foilsman a single point.

In the epee matches Harvard was represented by G. M. Yatsevitch '33 and T. I. Moran '32, neither of whom was able to survive against the stellar opposition afforded by deCapriles and Grautoff of New York University, who helped to administer the only defeat of the season to the Harvard team last month.

R. B. Lawson '32, displaying some of his best work of the year, won four of his bouts in the sabre preliminaries, putting the men he vanquished out of the running with decisive scores, but H. P. Walker '33 had such stiff competition against Ullman of Yale and Payne of Dartmouth that he was unable to win a single bout.