ENGINEERING FIELD ADDS NEW COURSES FOR YEAR 1932-33

Six Courses Fulfill Requirements For Degree--Students Are Fitted To Do Higher Engineering Work

The forthcoming announcement of courses given under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will show in the Department of Engineering Sciences a considerable increase in the number of courses offered over the number listed two years ago. Next year a course in Alternating Current Theory, and one in the Theory of Structures will be added to those now given in the Department.

Although no definite man has been assigned to give the course in alternating Current Theory, this course will be under the direction of H. E. Clifford '89, Gordon McKay Professor of Electrical Engineering and Dean of the Engineering School, and C. L. Dawes, associate professor of Electrical Engineering. The new course in the Theory of Structures will be given by Albert Haertlein '16, associate professor of Civil Engineering.

During the present year full courses are being given in Thermo-dynamics and in Electromechanics; there is also a half course in Hydro-mechanics being conducted this semester.

These changes offer a freedom of choice in the department which has not been possible before and permits undergraduates who intend, upon graduation, to enter an engineering school, to obtain preparation fitting them for the immediate pursuit of professional studies in any of the common branches of engineering.

The rules for concentration now permit considerable freedom of choice. These rules are that a student must select six courses in Engineering Sciences and related subjects as follows:

1. Four courses selected from the offerings in Engineering Sciences and from the following courses: Physics 21, 22, 24a, 24b, Geology 10, 13a, 13b.

2. Mathematics 2 and Physics C.

For Honors in Engineering Sciences a student must in addition select two approved courses not of elementary grade, chosen from the fields of Engineering Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Geology