Dr. Gerhart Hauptmann to Speak

Dr. Gerhart Hauptmann, distinguished dramatist and winner of the Nobel prize or Literature in 1912, will be guest of honor at the Leverett House luncheon at 12.45 o'clock today. Last night Dr. Hauptmann spoke at the festival in commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of the death of Goethe. His son, Benvenute, will also be present along with Dr. F. W. J. Heuser of Columbia University, president Lowell, Professors Sigurthur Nordal, J. D. M. Ford, E. K. Rand Taylor Starct, and Mr. Paul Bacon. Corrupt city government precipitation two innocent younsters into prison, the girl to be held for life the boy to the hanged. There are harrowing days of suspense while the two look for evidences to clear them. There are prison walls in Hollywood's best décor. Shadows of the gallows darken the screen, as the lovers say their rather affecting farewells and no negro atone crusher bursts out into "Deep River," as this reviewer feared.

Miss Sidney is distinctly appealing. A certain unassuming genuineness and a smile that begins at the eyes and spreads down all help to atone for the vacuity of her blond, fashion-plate lover, Mr. Gene Raymond. Miss Sydney is one actress whom Hollywood does not miscast. She is given the parts she does best, parts in mental positions which permit her to look up adoringly and a little abjectly to the men of her heart.

If you still like to see prison-gates clang and hear prison-horns howl in the night, the film will probably entertain you.