PRIZES ARE PRESENTED IN N.Y. TIMES CONTEST

WALKER, RYAN OBTAIN SECOND AND THIRD AWARDS

A. F. Daniels '33, of Rochester, New York, has been awarded first prize in the annual Intercollegiate Current Events Contest conducted by the New York Times, it was announced yesterday by A. N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government, in charge of the competition. The first prize is a cash award of $150 and a medal. J. S. Walker, Jr., of Yonkers, New York, and J. J. Ryan '33, of Jamaica Plain won second and third prizes respectively receiving $75 and $25 apiece.

An awakened interest is shown in current history by the fact that this year 40 students took the examination while only 25 participated in last year's contest. Daniel's paper was unusually good and will be submitted for consideration for the intercollegiate prize of $500 along with the best papers from a score of other colleges.

Dean A. E. Hindmarsh '26, Dr. G. C. S. Benson, and Mr. Emmet Redford, all members of the Department of Government, comprised the committee of judges. All the papers displayed intensive preparation and genuine interest in developments of the past year. In order to prevent any discrimination the contestants were assigned numbers in place of names.

There were 20 persons whose names have been prominent during the last year to be identified in the first part of the three-hour examination. Then followed 40 questions requiring one-word answers, and lastly, three essays to be chosen from a list of twelve topics. Issues in the Chine-Japanese conflict, the Administration's program for alleviating the depression, and Democratic presidential possibilities were the most popular topics for essays. Only two men knew Gigli is a tenor.