HONOR STUDENTS TO PREPARE ONLY ONE CORRELATION FIELD

Courses Required for Honors Reduced From Seven to Six--Adding Two New Correlation Subjects

Beginning in 1932 candidates for honors in the Division of History, Government, and Economics will be required to take an examination in only one correlation field; students not candidates for honors will be exempt from taking any examination on their correlation field and the number of courses required for honors is reduced to six, it was announced yesterday by Professor T. N. Carver, David A. Wells Professor or Political Economy, Emeritus, and chairman of the Division of History, Government, and Economics.

The number of courses for concentration required of candidates for honors in this Division is reduced from seven to six. In the case of candidates for honors taking a thesis course, their course credit shall be computed on the basis of the highest five and a half instead of the highest six and a half courses. Each candidate for honors shall take an examination in only one instead of two of the present correlation fields. Two new correlation subjects have been added and two old correlation subjects were dropped. The subjects added are, "European Economic History to 1750" and "European Economic History since 1750". Those dropped are, "Economic History of Western Europe" and History of Commerce". Non-honor candidates will not be required to take an examination on a correlation field.

The result of these changes will be to lighten some of the requirements both for concentration and for honors. On the other hand, the requirements are made more severe by several changes. First, additional correlation questions shall be required in the special field examinations, and second, the departmental or the special examination may be lengthened to four hours, if the department concerned so votes.

Professor Carver, commenting upon these changes, said, "Candidates for honors will find their special examinations are stiffened somewhat but they will be free from a certain bewilderment which resulted from attempts to cover two correlation fields in the general examination."