REMAKING HISTORY

The reduction of courses for honor students in the field of History, Government, and Economics, together with the limitation of correlation examinations is another indication of the growing liberalism which has been brought about by the Tutorial System. These measures are also in accord with the recent report made by Dean Hanford which suggested that fewer courses were desirable in the Senior year for Honor students.

The burden of the last year with Divisionals, Orals, a Thesis, and numerous hour examinations is a difficult one to carry successfully. The present change will enable a student to devote himself more attentively to the problems which are his chief concern, while restricting those academic obligations which are not essential. It is true that a course reduction will place a greater emphasis upon the Tutorial System, but this kind of instruction has been found to be increasingly satisfactory.

These reforms are excellent in themselves and are in keeping with the liberal trend. They also prepare the way for any more sweeping reforms that may be undertaken in the future. The Junior Divisionals have been found exceedingly successful in the field of History and Literature and it may sometime be found wise to make a similar change in History, Government and Economics. Under the present conditions more and more emphasis is being placed upon the thesis for the Honor student. It is only natural to suspect that he will do better work on this subject if he can, in his senior year, devote himself solely to that and to his courses. But reforms of such a large nature should come gradually for they represent a tremendous burden upon the Tutorial System and one to which it must accustom itself by slow degrees.