THE EMPHASIS ON GRADES

The changes announced by the Department of History, Government, and Economics this morning are another indication of the increasing importance which the college is placing on the tutorial system as a method of teaching and on the general examinations as the real test of a student's knowledge and intelligence. The reduction of courses and hour examinations for the entire college, as announced several weeks ago, will also have this liberalizing effect. But, while the college and the respective departments urge men to become candidates for honors and reduce formal requirements for them, the accepted criterion of a man's ability is still believed to lie in the way in which he can pass his regular courses. In other words, although the newer system of general examinations really has the sympathy of the college the old system of courses is still looked upon to furnish the real basis for judgment on a student; the emphasis on course grades is still too strong.

Examples to prove this are not Incking. Entrance to Phi Beta Kappa, although it is gradually being changed, is still based primarily on grades, not on excellence in tutorial work. Eligibility for scholarships and other financial aids depends entirely on grades. A student who looks for financial aid to the college will naturally forsake much of his tutorial work and spend his time on course duties so that he can attain the group in the rank list which will give him the scholarship he desires Grades may also held to secure outside employment but there is no way of indicating meritorious tutorial work.

At all times until graduation, when a student's intellectual caliber is indicated course grades form the only basis for judgment. There should be some manner in which progress in tutorial work can be indicated on the college records. If the college is continually emphasizing tutorial work, which it should continue to do, the student should be made to feel that his work is being recognized. Emphasis on courses is gradually being reduced; the same should be done to the grades which are given in them.