President Lowell as a Baritone

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note-The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I am sending you the enclosed clipping from the Princeton Alumni Bulletin of March 25, 1932.

The rather remarkable excerpt, entirely aside from the "psychiatrist" viewpoint, is indicative of the cordial relationship which should exist between graduates and undergraduates of the two Universities, and which did exist during my undergraduate days at Princeton just before the Great War.

This incident is, of course in keeping with the character of President Lowell, who has the whole-hearted respect and esteem of all Princeton, as well as Harvard men.

"While the story of a certain psychiatrist and his entrance into heaven is going the rounds, we should like to report an observation made at the New York alumni dinner to President Hibben. After the last of those many words of tribute to Dr. Hibben had been spoken, "Lamb" Heyniger, divested of his dinner coat, jumped upon a table in the middle of the huge ballroom and called for three stanzas of "Old Nassau." The first stanza went finely, but along in the middle of the second-at that place where there is always a bit of uncertainty as to whether our hearts are to be thrilled with all her power, or whether our breaths we are to draw-there was a perceptible diminution of volume. Glancing about us we noticed a few of our most loyal fellow-Princetonians frankly at sea as to the words. And then we looked up at the speakers' table and there, singing word for word and measure for measure to the impressive cadence set by Mr. Heyniger, was Abbott Lawrence Lowell, president of Harvard University. Don't tell us stories about a psychiatrist!" -From the Princeton Alumni   Weekly of March 25, 1932.   E. D. Foster, 1G.B.   Lt. Commander (S.C.) U.S.N.